PBC Insurance Group
How Are Short-Term Medical Plans Different Than Obamacare Plans?
Short-Term Medical plans can help protect you if you find yourself without health insurance. These plans are designed to provide you with coverage for unexpected illness, injuries and accidents. And the best part is that if you are eligible you can receive coverage as quickly as the day after applying. You don’t have to wait weeks for the coverage you need today! So how do these plans differ from Obamacare plans?
- There is no enrollment period- unlike the ACA plans, Short-Term Medical plans are available year-round.
- You must qualify for these plans on your health- pre-existing conditions are not covered
- There are coverage limits, typically $1,000,000 million depending on the carrier.
- Deductibles reset for each policy period, and some carriers reset coverage limits also.
- Supplements and riders can be added for increased protection.
These Plans A Good Fit If You Are:
- A Student or recent graduate
- A Nursing or Allied Health Student
- No longer eligible under a parents plan
- Between jobs
- Waiting for employer benefits to begin
- Without coverage due to job or life changes
Short-Term Medical plans include coverage for doctor office visits (for illness and injury), inpatient and outpatient procedures, emergency services and more.
- Flexible Coverage Periods – Coverage can be purchased for periods between 30 and 90 days in length
- Various Coverage Options – Plans offer a wide range of deductible and co-insurance levels to ensure you get the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
- Network Savings – With these short term plans, you have access to a large network of doctors, whether you are at home or traveling. It’s likely the physicians you currently use are already among our network providers. Keep in mind that you’ll receive the most savings when visiting network providers, but you’re still covered for most services if you choose to visit a non-network provider.Unlike ACA plans, Short-Term Medical Plans are not subject to an enrollment period, as they are available year-round.
Short-Term Medical plans are evolving as the healthcare system changes and represent a significant cost savings when compared to exchange plans.
Contact us today to learn more about short-term medical plans in your area.